Skip to main content

My Dear Kuttichathan 3D

I had seen My Dear Kuttichathan in 3D when I was very young. It would be more than 15 years I guess but I still have memories of the awesomeness that I had experienced through the stereoscopic 3D then. To revisit the film again upon its 2011 re-release (This was the second re-release of the film. The film is called Chhota Chetan in Hindi and Chutti Chathan in Tamizh.) was an experience that I never wanted to miss.
My dear Kuttichathan has been directed by Jijo and this was India's first stereoscopic 3D film. He was also the man who came up one of South India's first 70mm film with Padayottam. I still wonder why Jijo did not make many more films and it is strange that there weren't anyone to carry on the inventive nature in making films in Malayalam even afterwards.
My dear Kuttichathan does not have a story credit. But I have heard that it has been based on a short story that was written by non other than Padmarajan himself. It is a remarkable story that the film narrates a fantasy tale that revovles around three school children and a Kuttichathan. I'm not sure how effectively I could translate what a Kuttichathan is, but it can be called as a sort of a genie. The screenplay and dialogues from Regunath Paleri carries enough fun and isn't very long either. But there are certain things rather disappointing about the making of the film. Jijo has made the film as a multi-lingual and the focus is lost on the matter of language at most parts.
(The earlier release of the film had a portion that featured Kalabhavan Mani as a black magician. This sub plot has been replaced with Urmila's similar story this time, which would have been shot for the Hindi audience in the earlier release.)
Yet, Jijo manages to pull off the film without much fuzz thanks to the content and the exceptionally brilliant 3D techniques. The visual effects and the additional scenes for the release does look a lot outdated but the stereoscopic 3D has an amazing impact. Illayaraja's music almost as good as it has been though I did miss the voice of S. Janaki in that awesome song.
I happened to see My dear Kuttichathan at the cinema that was more than half packed with plenty of children and parents. There is indeed some magic that is working for the film and that isn't like the black magic that Jijo shows in his film! I wonder how many films would manage to attract crowds and still find success upon a first re-release.
The revolving corridor in Inception created enough noise among movie goers I guess. The 3D of James Cameron's avatar did its talking as well. But before all these, India had a Kuttichathan who tried it and proved it all right. Isn't the world missing something more from you, Jijo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nidra

I haven't seen the original version of the film, Nidra, which was directed by Bharathan. But the version his son, Sidharth Bharathan, made was lovable for the way it was made. Nidra is a neat film. It has a writing material well adapted by Sidharth and Santhosh. The dialogues from Santhosh Echikkanam are bang on! Loved the visuals of the film as well but it seemed to have an excess of blue all over it. I wonder if Sameer Thahir did that to cover up for the excess of white that he might have had to  accommodate while shooting on the Red camera. The music and background score of the film sounded well with the film. The editing and sound design were no less good. It did feel as though there where a couple of instances when the footages jumped creating a disturbance for a second or two. But, otherwise the editing by Bavan Sreekumar was just too good. I loved the editing on all those scenes that featured the redish look from Sameer and the scene at the dining table that featured on

Green Street Days

Green Street Hooligans is a 2005 English film directed by Lexi Alexander and Bangalore Days is a 2014 Malayalam film directed by Anjali Menon. Both the film may not share much in common in the outside but they do have their own share of strange similarities. Green Street Hooligans and Bangalore Days have a plot point that is very similar in idea. No, this is not the strange similarity that I'm trying to talk about. Green Street narrates a story about football hooliganism and Bangalore Days a story about three cousins. Yes, these are actually very different ideas and obviously not 'strange' similarity! Both these films are directed by female filmmakers. In fact, both these films are the second feature length films directed by each. It's interesting to note that the themes these films deal with aren't exactly the kind that is expected of them. Green Street is a very violent film. It's a crime film on the backdrop of sports. And Bangalore days is meant to be

Second Show

Disclaimer This post isn't meant to offend anyone. But if you feel that I'm a bitching asshole, I'm sorry. I still want to post this. Prologue Ok, this post might go a little too long. This isn't a review for you to decide if you need to spend money to watch this film called Second Show. This is a writing of the director's friend, who later on turned out to be an assistant director in his film and then a movie goer who ended up seeing the film his friend made. Chapter 1: Build up Before I write anything about the film that I have seen, I would like a rewind. Like a cliched boy who is about to propose to his girl, I bloody don't know where to begin! Your blogger, that's me, Appu N. Bhattathiri, happened to have worked in this film called Second Show as an assistant director. Yes, I know that line sounds like a self promotion sort of a stuff, but it's the truth! I'm a guy with some complexes which I have to admit. Even though I'm proud th