Skip to main content

Before Sunrise

At this point, I'm all set to start writing on a film that talks about a boy and girl and nobody else. I wish my film to fall under the romance genre that Richard Linklater successfully brought out through his Before Sunrise. At the late hour of the night, I'm all alone at my home, awake. My idea to revisit Before Sunrise was indeed a nice one.
It should be more than three years since I saw the film for the first time. Before Sunrise is still the same. The characters haven't changed and their romance and love is just as it was in the first viewing. The performance of the two characters carry the film throughout the 100 minutes. There are quite a few people who visit their life at different points of the day and night and it is merely the eye of the camera that sees them all through. Linklater has made an exceptionally brilliant talking film about a boy and girl who live beyond their names that was discussed just once in the entire film. The film talks for you and me, for a man and a woman, through a lot of context only to end up as an expression of love. Before Sunrise is just as life is, Richard does not cheat you with slow motion or jump cuts or add music to distract your emotions for the characters. Before Sunrise is a film with a heart as pure as the lovers in the film. It is a story about a relationship that is told, yet untold. I don't know if there are many films that celebrate romance so well. I don't think there is a scene as beautiful as the one at the restaurant when Jesse and Celine act as though they are talking to their friends about meeting each other. The innocence, the joy and love that blossomed are beyond words. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy give one of those performance that I would call the most truthful. 
I wonder why I took so long to watch this film a second time. It is strange indeed. But I'm not going to wait too long before I grab a copy of Before Sunset for a second watch.

Comments

Unknown said…
I was just about to ask you to watch this film, guess the moment has passed.

Before sunset was equally reminiscent of the characters and their traits. There is this scene in the movie where the characters reach the point of the -"what if?" question, and it was the most emotional scene I had experienced with romantic movies, it happens towards the end, the scene in the car.
Unknown said…
Sorry, forgot to put my name in previous comment - Aswin

Popular posts from this blog

Nidra

I haven't seen the original version of the film, Nidra, which was directed by Bharathan. But the version his son, Sidharth Bharathan, made was lovable for the way it was made. Nidra is a neat film. It has a writing material well adapted by Sidharth and Santhosh. The dialogues from Santhosh Echikkanam are bang on! Loved the visuals of the film as well but it seemed to have an excess of blue all over it. I wonder if Sameer Thahir did that to cover up for the excess of white that he might have had to  accommodate while shooting on the Red camera. The music and background score of the film sounded well with the film. The editing and sound design were no less good. It did feel as though there where a couple of instances when the footages jumped creating a disturbance for a second or two. But, otherwise the editing by Bavan Sreekumar was just too good. I loved the editing on all those scenes that featured the redish look from Sameer and the scene at the dining table that featured on

Green Street Days

Green Street Hooligans is a 2005 English film directed by Lexi Alexander and Bangalore Days is a 2014 Malayalam film directed by Anjali Menon. Both the film may not share much in common in the outside but they do have their own share of strange similarities. Green Street Hooligans and Bangalore Days have a plot point that is very similar in idea. No, this is not the strange similarity that I'm trying to talk about. Green Street narrates a story about football hooliganism and Bangalore Days a story about three cousins. Yes, these are actually very different ideas and obviously not 'strange' similarity! Both these films are directed by female filmmakers. In fact, both these films are the second feature length films directed by each. It's interesting to note that the themes these films deal with aren't exactly the kind that is expected of them. Green Street is a very violent film. It's a crime film on the backdrop of sports. And Bangalore days is meant to be

Second Show

Disclaimer This post isn't meant to offend anyone. But if you feel that I'm a bitching asshole, I'm sorry. I still want to post this. Prologue Ok, this post might go a little too long. This isn't a review for you to decide if you need to spend money to watch this film called Second Show. This is a writing of the director's friend, who later on turned out to be an assistant director in his film and then a movie goer who ended up seeing the film his friend made. Chapter 1: Build up Before I write anything about the film that I have seen, I would like a rewind. Like a cliched boy who is about to propose to his girl, I bloody don't know where to begin! Your blogger, that's me, Appu N. Bhattathiri, happened to have worked in this film called Second Show as an assistant director. Yes, I know that line sounds like a self promotion sort of a stuff, but it's the truth! I'm a guy with some complexes which I have to admit. Even though I'm proud th