Skip to main content

Nolan

Christopher Nolan is an excellent filmmaker. A filmmaker who has inspired me a lot. It was only hours back that I actually saw one of his earlier works. It was a short film titled Doodlebug. I did not like the film much but it definitely shows that Nolan wanted to make something that would be out of the box, something which I guess every aspiring filmmaker would try.
Christopher Nolan after this 3minute film went on to make a feature film titled Following which was shot on 16mm. Something I love about this film is the fact that the film has a brilliantly constructed narrative and some brilliant moments. The film has been shot in black and white and made on a very small budget.
Christopher Nolan two years after Following went on to make his cult film, Memento, with Guy Pearce in the lead. The film was brilliant not just for its story but also for the skillful writing and also for the film making. The film goes in both the forward as well as the reverse chronology simultaneously. It been a while since I have seen Memento. But if my memory is correct, this was my first Nolan film! I loved the narrative structure of the film a lot. However, I felt a lot of aspects missing in the final film. I ran through a lot of pages on how others felt on the film. Roger Ebert's review on the film which questioned an aspect of logic in the film is worth mention. It questioned how the protagonist is able to remember that he suffers from the short term memory disorder when he is unable to make new memories that does not last more than a while! It could well be the reason why the film did not make the Academy Award in the end though getting a nomination for the best screenplay.
I'm yet to see the film called Insomnia which was directed by Nolan remade from a Norwegian film of the same name. It was after this that Nolan made his least impressive film but the his biggest blockbuster till then. That was Batman Begins. The film was beautifully photographed. Excellent colours and beautiful actors. But that is just about it. Nolan has tried an interesting narration also, but nothing seems to work effectively here.
Nolan then associated with his brother to write The Prestige. And this should be a classic to film students who would learn about Nolan after another forty years. I don't have words to tell about this film. You just need to watch the film closely; you will be rewarded!
The sequel to Batman Begins, The Dark Knight was the film next from Nolan. This was a far better take on the franchise as far I'm concerned. But I still feel that this film has been slightly over rated.
Now, Christopher Nolan is back with another original screenplay after his debut feature, Following, with Inception. Inception has Leonardo DiCaprio in the lead. DiCaprio after the not-so-wonderful Shutter Island falls back in track with this amazingly made film. If you expect me to write a lot on Inception, I think it would be pointless. Inception speaks as a film. It is a sci-fi film that revolves on the concept of a dream and some ideas that has parallels to The Matrix. It would be quite complicating to try and write more on the plot of the film. However, watch out for the sequence of Ellen Page and DiCaprio in the first hour of the film. If there is a reason why Christopher is believed to a blessed filmmaker, you see them on those scenes. They are simply beautiful. But the film seems to be a bit lengthy for the 140 minutes plus runtime. As usual the writing of Nolan is quite a complex one and it does have strong traits of Nolan's own previous films. But this could be a far more imaginative effort from Nolan's other films and it has been beautifully filmed with some excellent actors.
Something which I believe that is quite evident in the films of Christopher Nolan is the fact that most of these have the potential to entertain with enough thought in them. None of the Nolan films, which includes the Batman films, have been mindless. So now I can't wait to get my seat for another Nolan film!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nidra

I haven't seen the original version of the film, Nidra, which was directed by Bharathan. But the version his son, Sidharth Bharathan, made was lovable for the way it was made. Nidra is a neat film. It has a writing material well adapted by Sidharth and Santhosh. The dialogues from Santhosh Echikkanam are bang on! Loved the visuals of the film as well but it seemed to have an excess of blue all over it. I wonder if Sameer Thahir did that to cover up for the excess of white that he might have had to  accommodate while shooting on the Red camera. The music and background score of the film sounded well with the film. The editing and sound design were no less good. It did feel as though there where a couple of instances when the footages jumped creating a disturbance for a second or two. But, otherwise the editing by Bavan Sreekumar was just too good. I loved the editing on all those scenes that featured the redish look from Sameer and the scene at the dining table that featured on

Green Street Days

Green Street Hooligans is a 2005 English film directed by Lexi Alexander and Bangalore Days is a 2014 Malayalam film directed by Anjali Menon. Both the film may not share much in common in the outside but they do have their own share of strange similarities. Green Street Hooligans and Bangalore Days have a plot point that is very similar in idea. No, this is not the strange similarity that I'm trying to talk about. Green Street narrates a story about football hooliganism and Bangalore Days a story about three cousins. Yes, these are actually very different ideas and obviously not 'strange' similarity! Both these films are directed by female filmmakers. In fact, both these films are the second feature length films directed by each. It's interesting to note that the themes these films deal with aren't exactly the kind that is expected of them. Green Street is a very violent film. It's a crime film on the backdrop of sports. And Bangalore days is meant to be

Second Show

Disclaimer This post isn't meant to offend anyone. But if you feel that I'm a bitching asshole, I'm sorry. I still want to post this. Prologue Ok, this post might go a little too long. This isn't a review for you to decide if you need to spend money to watch this film called Second Show. This is a writing of the director's friend, who later on turned out to be an assistant director in his film and then a movie goer who ended up seeing the film his friend made. Chapter 1: Build up Before I write anything about the film that I have seen, I would like a rewind. Like a cliched boy who is about to propose to his girl, I bloody don't know where to begin! Your blogger, that's me, Appu N. Bhattathiri, happened to have worked in this film called Second Show as an assistant director. Yes, I know that line sounds like a self promotion sort of a stuff, but it's the truth! I'm a guy with some complexes which I have to admit. Even though I'm proud th